From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 22:49:20 CDT

Seth,
  You won't be able to load standard VMD builds as a module into
an arbitrary Python interpreter; rather, VMD has a built-in
Python interpreter, in which you can run your own scripts.

Justin Gullingsrud created a modified version of VMD that
could be run as a Python module, but I don't recall how
far he got with it. I vaguely recall that we determined that
going further than he did in his tests would require turning
VMD inside out, so that the scripting language was on top and
VMD was driven by the scripting interface, which is the opposite
of how the program works now. Currently, VMD is in control
and it pumps events through each text of the text interpreters
as it runs. The 'startvmd.py' script is related to that experiment.

  John