From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 00:44:22 CDT

Hi,
  Here's the only .gro file format spec I can find presently:
http://www.gromacs.org/documentation/reference/online/gro.html

My understanding of that specification is that while the last 6
of the 9 box vectors may be omitted, the first three may not.
If I understand correclty, this means that files that are
completely missing the box vectors are illegally formatted.
Perhaps a Gromacs developer or expert could comment on this?