From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 23:26:54 CDT

Hi,
  If you've run MSMS manually from the command line, you cannot do much
with the resulting surface .vert and .face files by themselves.
The best way to use VMD to view MSMS surfaces is to load the PDB file
into VMD itself, and have VMD invoke MSMS for you, which retains all of
the atom attributes at each vertex, which allows VMD to color the resulting
MSMS surface by the various properties you asked about. All you need to
do is select the "MSMS" representation in VMD, and you should be in
business.