From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 18:21:12 CDT

Assuming I understant what you want, you'll want to run a doubly nested
loop searching for the minimum pair, from the atoms in the two residues.
You could use measure contacts to eliminate atoms beyond a certain
distance from the calculation, but the core code is a simple O(N^2)
loop over the number that have to be considered as potential minimal
distance pairs.