From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 23:15:27 CDT

Hi,
  I believe the root of the problem here is twofold:
1) The Hershey font used by the "draw text" command is a proportional
   font and not a fixed font, which means that the widths of the various
   characters are slightly different, and thus even with justified text you
   can get different spacings. In particular, the width of the "." and " "
   characters differ from the width of the numeric characters. The numeric
   characters are all the same, so we might be able to cure this by hacking
   the Hershey font and modifying the width of the " " and "." characters
   to match the width of the numbers in a future version of VMD.

2) The result of the format command isn't quoted, so the
   spaces may be getting eliminated by Tcl. The format command
   is indeed working correctly and is padding with spaces however.

Of the two, 1) is the major problem. I'll see what I can do...

  John