From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 17:39:15 CDT

Vishy,
  Have you made any changes to your video driver recently?
It's possible that the snapshot method is getting garbage back from the
video driver. What do your resulting snapshot images look like?
Another thing to check is that your target filenames are valid and
your working directory has free space and is writable. You'll also want
to be sure that the VMD OpenGL Window is on top, and has no other windows
covering it up when you take the snapshots, since some video drivers will
capture the other windows in that situation.