From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 15:17:31 CDT

Brian,
  Normally your .vmdrc file should be in your home directory.
If it is somewhere else, then VMD won't see it unless you happen
to start VMD from that directory, which is not usually possible
using the normal MacOS X graphical interface to start the program.
If you still have problems loading the .vmdrc after you've checked
file permissions and moved it to your home directory, let me know
and I'll delve into the details to solve this for you.