From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 13:21:42 CDT

Hi,
  To start out with, you'll have to have a working VRPN server compiled with
HDAPI support. I'd begin by getting that part working, and once you've got
the VRPN server up and running, and tested, the next step is to build VMD
itself against VRPN 7.x (just has to have the same protocol version as
the VRPN server). Building VMD should be easy, if you need help let me know.
Building VRPN with HDAPI shouldn't be too difficult, but as far as I know
it's only been done on Windows so far, and I haven't personally tried it
yet, so that's probably something to ask the VRPN list. Russell Taylor told
me that all one needs to do to enable HDAPI in the VRPN server build is to
enable some HDAPI defines at compile time.