From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2006 - 16:21:31 CDT

Joanna,
  Do you see any messages from ppmtompeg showing up in the text console
while the compression occurs? If not, then you may have a problem with
your installation of NetPBM and may need to install a new/fixed version.
You could also use one of the other movie formats, or leave the movie images
as a set of files, and compress them with whatever your favorite program is
external to VMD. My guess is that you have a problem with NetPBM ppmtompeg
program on your machine.