From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 11:11:23 CDT

Hi,
  This sort of thing can be done by running VMD in text mode if you like:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.4/ug/node192.html

vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < input.tcl > output.log

In your script, you'd do something like:

mol new myfile.parm7
mol addfile myrestart.rst7
set sel [atomselect top "same residue as within 3 of chain X"]
set outfile [open "myresidues.txt" w]
puts $outfile [lsort -unique [$sel get resid]]
close $outfile