From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 12:59:57 CDT

Sam,
  MSMS and Surf don't determine which atoms are on the surface, rather,
they determine the polygonal mesh that defines the solvent surface for a
group of atoms. This is done without explicitly calculating the sort of
information you're looking for. The best suggestion I have for this is
to write a script and use the "measure sasa" command to calculate the
per-atom solvent accessible surface area values, assign the resulting
value to the "user" or "beta" fields, and then use the solvent accessible
surface area to select the atoms you're interested in. Beware that this
method can also catch atoms that line internal cavities however.
I believe I posted some scripts for this purpose on VMD-L previously.