From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 12:13:49 CDT

Hi,
  It sounds like you're building on one of the new Linux distributions
which requires the use of -fPIC in the compiler flags. Edit the Make-arch
file and add -fPIC in the CCFLAGS and CXXFLAGS settings for the "LINUX:"
build target. Once you've done that, just do a "make clean" and build again
as before, and that should solve your problem. Let me know if you need
more help with this.