From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 12:04:35 CDT

Marc,
  VMD has built-in joystick drivers on Windows, but not on any other
platform at present. For other platforms, the best option would be to
use something based on VRPN. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to
add basic support for joysticks and gamepads for MacOS X or Linux, the
hard part is making them (2 degree of freedom devices) work nicely
for navigation in VMD.

  John