From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 10:48:16 CDT

Hi,
  If this is the latest NetPBM release, you may want to file a bug report
with the NetPBM developers describing your problem. Otherwise, you may want
to double check that the version you've got is the latest, as this sounds like
something that has come up on other platforms such as Linux earlier in the
year (maybe even a few months back), and I had heard they'd fixed that
already. The NetPBM project developers are usually pretty responsive for
bug fixes:
  http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/

They have binary distributions available on that page as well. If you built
yours using Fink or one of the other automated package managers, you may wish
to compare with other the binaries they are providing for MacOS X.