From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 09:24:22 CDT

Hi,
  It depends. The PSF files written by VMD using atom selection
'$sel writepsf' are legal, but incomplete (no angles/dihedrals/impropers,
etc, presently anyway). In the case of the psfgen plugin, they are
written in X-PLOR format (uses names rather than absolute indices
for references to the top/par files). I don't know if Charmm is able
to load these directly, here was a previous discussion of this issue:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/4802.html

If any Charmm experts know of a way to load the X-PLOR formatted PSF files
feel free to chime in.