From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 16:30:38 CDT

Al,
  All of the rendering options currently base the final output resolution
settings on the current size of the VMD OpenGL graphics window at the time
you generate the scene. This is a bit of a hold-over from the era when
most people only generated images at screen-resolution. In order to render
very high resolution images, one would normally use one of the external
rendering programs suchy as Tachyon, Raster3D, or POV-Ray, for example.
In the case of these external renderers, VMD will generate a scene file
(text file containing geometry descriptions) which can be read by the
associated external rendering program, and used to render an arbitrary
resolution output image. In the case of POV-Ray, one can simply add
some command line arguments when running the 'povray' executable, to
specify the desired output resolution. In the case of Tachyon, one
can edit the scene file and replace the "Resolution" value at the top
of the file with whatever resolution is appropriate. Increasing the
resolution of the input file will increase the rendering time significantly,
but that's generally how it is done. For the next version of VMD I plan
to make a new rendering plugin that makes all of this signficantly easier
for a non-expert.