From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 17:06:07 CDT

Hi,
  Ahh, so the real issue is that you need to be able to generate DCD
files that can be read by X-PLOR... Well, that shouldn't be too hard
to accomplish with one of the current versions, though I'll have to
make a small modification to the DCD plugin in order for you to do this.
The main reason that the new versions don't write X-PLOR format DCD files
anymore is because of the overwhelming preponderance of simulations run using
periodic boundary conditions. The X-PLOR DCD format didn't have a means of
storing unit cell information per-timestep, but the Charmm format does, so
VMD writes DCD files in the Charmm format by default. Since I'd rather that
people use the current version of VMD than dig up old ancient ones, I've
made a small change to the VMD DCD plugin which will allow you to force
it to write DCD files in X-PLOR format, even though that will mean losing
unit cell info etc. In order to enable this output mode, you'd either do:
(before running VMD)
  setenv VMDDCDWRITEXPLORFORMAT 1

or (in the VMD Tcl console)
  set env(VMDDCDWRITEXPLORFORMAT) 1

This will be in the next build I do, or I can send you a DCD plugin you can
copy into one of the VMD 1.8.4 test versions if you like.