From: Justin Gullingsrud (justinrocks_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 19:02:22 CDT

Same thing happens to me - tar errors on unpack, and errors when I try
to import the math module. I verified that I'm indeed loading the
correct math shared library from the pylibs package. Here is the
output:

vmd > gopython
Info) Starting Python...
Numeric Python module _numpy not found; vmdnumpy module not available.
ImportError: Failure linking new module
Info) Text interpreter now Python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/Applications/VMD
1.8.3.app/Contents/vmd/scripts/python/Tkinter.py", line 59, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter
>>> import math
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "VMD", line 1, in ?
    File "VMD", line 1, in ?
ImportError: Failure linking new module
>>> import string
>>> string
<module 'string' from
'/Users/justin/Desktop/lib_MACOSX-numpy/lib/python2.2/string.pyc'>

The failure to load the numpy module is probably related to the
failure to load the math library.

Justin

--
Studying texts and stiff meditation can make you lose your Original Mind.
A solitary tune by a fisherman, though, can be an invaluable treasure.