From: Pietro Amodeo (pamodeo_at_icmib.na.cnr.it)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 13:52:48 CDT

John,
 Yes indeed, the GLSL representation is still affected by coloring
problems ("rainbow" effect when rotating the molecule) for isosurface
representations colored by "Volume" (density in my test, calculated for
BPTI pdb structure).
The white regions are unaffected, but colored ones change (from red to
green or even blue in my example) during a molecular rotation.
The effect is independent on material or light properties.

Best regards,
Pietro

John Stone wrote:

> Pietro,
> Thanks for the report. Have you tried the color by "Volume" method with
> GLSL on that driver? Axel Kohlmeyer posted some images to the
> VMD Public Project on biocore that indicate that the 8756 drivers may have
> a new bug with 3-D texturing when running in GLSL mode. Can you try it
> out
> on a density or potential map and see if it looks right on your card?
> (could conceivably be card specific I suppose, though likely not given
> nVidia driver architecture as I understand it)
>
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:24:49PM +0200, Pietro Amodeo wrote:
>> After upgrading FC4 (installed on a workstation equipped with a NVidia
>> Quadro FX1400 graphic board) to kernel 2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 and then
>> installing the 8756 version of NVidia Linux driver, "phychedelic" colors
>> or missing-atom effects are gone from GLSL rendermode and now everything
>> looks good, even in "Crystaleyes" Stereo mode.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Pietro
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Pietro Amodeo, Ph.D.
>> Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare del CNR
>> Comprensorio "A. Olivetti", Edificio 70
>> Via Campi Flegrei 34
>> I-80078 Pozzuoli (Napoli) - Italy
>> Phone +39-0818675072