From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 16:13:07 CST

Hi,
  This is most likely caused by using an out-of-date version of Tcl
(specifically versions older than 8.4.0). VMD requires Tcl 8.4 or higher
to compile, as the new versions of Tcl are const-correct which VMD requires.
You'll need to compile/install one of the newer versions of Tcl/Tk in order
to build VMD from source on your machine.
Let us know if you need more help.