From: Jan Saam (saam_at_charite.de)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 16:11:55 CST

As a first step of improvement wouldn't it be possible to implement the
following strategy in "measure fit":

Try algorithm 1 first and compute the RMSD. The RMS fit may fail but the
RMSD can't be cheated! If the RMSD after the fit is worse that some
default (which could be scaled by the atom number and adjusted by the
user though an option to the measure fit command) then try algorithm 2.
Now simply use the better result.

If it's true that the two algorithms fall down in different cases, we
have a good chance to catch a reasonable number of these failures. And I
guess it would only require a few lines of code.

What do you think?

Jan

--
Jan Saam