From: Weiqiang Wang (wangweiq_at_usc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 02:11:22 CST

Thanks for the reply.
And the structure I'm studying is a simple a-SiO2 system. Because it's amorphous, the first peak position of the Si-O bond pair distribution is broadened to a range of 1.50-1.80A. So, when I want to look at the Si atoms (which normally has 4 bonded Oxygen atoms) by using selection "name Si and numbonds=4", VMD then couldn't give me a correct display result, because VMD calculates the bond using the default cutoff distance 1.6A.
The "dynamic bond" is a good feature of VMD, but when I want to look at those defects (i.e. when I want to show only the Si atoms having 3 bonded oxygen atoms), I can't find a way out.

Weiqiang Wang