From: Bogdan Costescu (Bogdan.Costescu_at_IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 07:05:36 CST

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Hannes Barsch wrote:

> I use a Pentium IV computer with a "Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra
> 960" graphics device (nVidia FX GeForce 5700 Ultra chip set),
> running Fedora Core 4. Does anybody use a similar system for 3D VMD
> imaging?

Yes, but similar only as in x86 running Linux. The graphics cards are
nVidia Quadro (various models) with the VESA 3-pin connector for
driving the stereo emitter; with these cards the only thing to do to
make them run stereo is to add 'Option "Stereo" "3"' into the
"Device" section of the X config file. It's possible to use a device
to extract the synchronization signal from the normal VGA signal while
using a different "Stereo" value for the nVidia driver (sorry, I
forgot what exactly this value is), but my experience with this is not
so good - I'm not pointing the finger at any specific component, it's
quite possible that the software side (=driver) was buggy too...

> And if so, what type of shutter glasses do you use and about how
> much are they?

Stereographics CrystalEyes, which can come as a set composed of
glasses, emitter and a "stereo enabler" (which does the sync
extraction mentioned above, but which we don't need...). It makes no
sense to provide to the list commercial details which might be country
specific, please contact me off-list if interested.

--
Bogdan Costescu
Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868