From: Marc Baaden (baaden_at_smplinux.de)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 01:27:51 CST

Hi,

just my 2 eurocents on having several VMD versions and on Linux build
systems..

We have found in the past that it often helps the binary portability of
a Linux (but probably also unix in general) application to ship some or
all libraries it depends on with it. The libs can be put in some application
dependent directory and if needed they can be used preferentially over
local libraries by making the directory path the first entry in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. Alternatively they can be used only
for libraries missing on the system by appending them to this variable.
(The quick hack we regularly use is if application X runs on machine Y
 but not on machine Z with a different Linux distribution and if you can
 identify the library that leads to problems, you just need to copy the working
 one from machine Y using the above procedure to make it active without
 generally changing any system libraries)
Maybe this would suffice to make a single VMD binary work on most Linux
distributions.

As to Linux build systems, from personal experience I can strongly recommend
Debian (or Debian-based) distributions. Debian has been ported to many (~10
stable and 5 in development) architectures [1] and having an application build
properly on one of those thus buys you ~15 builds in one go...
It also makes it easy to give instructions for people who want to build from
source. Debian has also been used to provide specific environments (eg via live
CDs) for bio/chemical software [2], scientific computing [3] or medicine
(including bioinformatics) [4] so all libraries or tools one usually needs are
already in there (which helps for build dependencies). There are many other
advantages and strong points, but they may not be so relevant to eg building
VMD.

Marc

[1] http://www.debian.org/ports/
[2] http://www.vigyaancd.org/
[3] http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html
[4] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/

Marc Baaden

--
 Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
 mailto:baaden_at_smplinux.de      -      http://www.baaden.ibpc.fr