From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 17:08:27 CST

Lubos,
  I'd suggest having a look at the way the Solvate plugin works, as it
generates a solvent box by copying a template structure filling the required
space in much the same manner you'd like to replicate your periodic cell
into the other 26 neighboring locations. Solvate does this by building
structures with a combination of atom selections and psfgen. You can
basically replicate what solvate does and tune it for your particular needs.
You can either get the solvate script from the plugins directory of your
VMD installation, or via CVS from the VMD web site:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/cvsget.html#cvsget