From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 13:36:39 CST

Jim,
  I've loaded the entire PDB at once on a machine with 30GB of
memory (about 30k molecules), so no, there shouldn't be an
arbitrary 256 molecule limit. Perhaps you've run into some strange
FLTK GUI bug, or something that affects the Mac FLTK specifically.
I'll have to see if I can reproduce your problem. VMD itself doesn't
have any internal limitation, but it's possible that the GUI controls
in FLTK max out at a certain number of browser lines or something like
that. I'll have to see what's causing your limit there. If you load
the molecules in text mode I can gaurantee there's no limit, as the FLTK
code won't be active, and I've done that loading thousands of molecules
at once many many times.

  John