From: Vlad Cojocaru (Vlad.Cojocaru_at_eml-r.villa-bosch.de)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 06:43:06 CST

Dear Anna,
  Ok... that is clear the problem and if John can give you a Windows
executable compiled with something like 200 max atoms in standard
residues should be solving the problem ... As for Linux ... I will send
you the stride zipped archive (see next email addressed only to you).
After you copy the file on your Linux machine, you should type in a
terminal "tar xzvf stride.tar.gz". You will get a directory which stores
all the files necessary for compilation. If you "cd" to that directory
and edit the "stride.h" file you will see at line 43 and 44 the following:

#define MAX_AT_IN_RES 100
#define MAX_AT_IN_HETERORES 200

First line is for standard residues (provided with ATOM cards) and
second is for residues provided with HETATM cards... Before compilation
you should change the numbers according to your needs .. (for example
200 in the first line .. anyhow > 173). After you did that, type "make"
in the directory and this should give you an executable "stride" in this
directory. On a standard Linux you should not get any errors upon
"make". To make this executable available for vmd you have to copy it in
your vmd installation directory (for ex: /usr/local/lib/vmd .. might be
different for you!!) and change the name to "stride_LINUX" (there should
already be a file like that present). After you complete this
steps...you should be able to use stride with you ligand on Linux...

If you have any problems with the compilation ... I can compile one here
for you or maybe John can do it if you tell him the exact Linux
distribution that you have (just to avoid any distribution
incompatibilities ).

Hope this helps
vlad