From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 09:54:11 CST

Hi,
  The old Spaceballs (like the 2003) are quite usable, easy to find at
cheap prices on EBay etc, and are fairly durable. I do plan to update
the Spaceball code for Unix to support the new 3DConnexion devices because
the old ones won't last forever, and 3DConnexion no longer supports the old
models with their latest drivers. I intend to keep VMD compatible with both
new and old devices when I get around to updating the code. I've already
gotten a patch from someone that supports some of the middle-aged USB
Spaceball models, but I don't know if it works with the new ones or not,
and I don't have a 4000FLX to test with so I haven't had an opportunity
to integrate that code into my Unix Spaceball drivers yet.