From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 13:40:13 CST

Jerome,
  We should probably create new PBC-aware versions of the
existing VMD functions that do:
  - 'within' and 'exwithin' atom selections
  - 'measure contacts'
  - 'measure hbonds'
  - automatic bond search (allow bonds across PBC cell boundaries)
  - draw bond components of the Bonds, CPK, and Licorice representations
  - draw dynamic bonds representation

Adding PBC-awareness to the drawing code is the most risky in terms
of hurting performance, but this may be something that could be dealt with
by adding a checkbox so that VMD only spends effort checking for this when
the user actually needs it.

Before embarking on implementing all of this, it would be nice to know
which of these users would find most beneficial. We could work on the
most-wanted features first...