From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 10:17:58 CST

Hi Luc,
  At present you cannot use ColorID values greater than 16.
If you try to use a ColorID greater than 16, current versions of
VMD will clamp the color to 16, which is the color black by default.
I'm working on redesigning some of this so you can set reps to any
arbitrary color and still have high drawing performance, but that
won't be finished for the next version of VMD and will come out in a
future version.