From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 10:01:13 CST

Vlad,
  Yes, if you compile from source you can use your existing Python
installation. Compiling from source is a fair bit of work as there
are a lot of libraries you'll have to compile, but that may be the
best short term solution for you since you're in a hurry. Before you
try compiling from source, please read the docs here completely:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling

If you have questions, let me know.