From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 13:22:58 CST

Marc,
  You can use a USB to RS-232 adapter on a Mac to enable VMD to talk
to one of the older RS-232 spaceball devices. I don't have access to
the newer Spaceball devices presently so I haven't written the code to
support them yet. If you use the USB to RS-232 adapter, you just need to
tell VMD what the Unix device node for the serial port is and you're
in business. I successfully tested a Spaceball on a friend's Mac laptop
with such a USB->RS232 adapter a while back, so I know it's doable.