From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 17:29:09 CST

Hi,
  You can use the "color by volume" method to color by the density, but
an isosurface is by definition a surface that follows a single density value
through space, so it would usually be colored a solid color. In areas where
there's an extremely strong density gradient, you can color by volume and
alter the min/max color scale values (in the trajectory tab) and get VMD
to show you the nearby gradient if you make the min/max values sufficiently
close to the isovalue for the surface you're rendering, but in general it
makes more sense to color another surface by this density and not an
isosurface itself, as you won't be able to show anything but very strong
density gradients.