From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 27 2005 - 13:15:39 CDT

Hi,
  The PSF plugin in VMD doesn't write a complete PSF, as VMD 1.8.3 doesn't
preserve the bonds/angles/dihedrals/impropers when it loads a PSF file.
The VMD 1.8.4 test versions will write bond information now, but they
still don't internally store the angles/dihedrals/impropers to be written
back out later on. This may change for a subsequent version, but that's
the way it is for VMD 1.8.3/4. In order to build a PSF for the
selected sub-structure, you're going to have to use psfgen, or perhaps
the "autopsf' plugin in the 1.8.4 test version, one of those should work fine.