From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 15:09:00 CDT

Hi,
  If you use 'setenv VMDGDISPLAY :0.0' and 'setenv DISPLAY remote:0.0'
you can do the opposite (send the GUI to a remote machine, run OpenGL
on the local machine). You wouldn't want to send the graphics to the
remote machine, as that's the slowest method. It's far better to send
the GUI to the remote machine and run the graphics locally. While you
can do it the other way, you'll very quickly discover that the graphics
load will eat your network for breakfast if you do it that way.
Let us know if you need more help getting this running.