From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 14:56:41 CDT

Hi,
  I need a few people to test an automatic workaround solution
for the various ATI OpenGL problems that exist with the presently
shipping Linux drivers. My goal is to alter the logic in VMD so
that the ATI cards work by default even though the ATI drivers
for Linux are currently full of bugs. This will save users a
lot of trouble and cut down on the amount of email. In order to
do this with the least impact on performance, I'll need several
testers who have ATI cards that have previously required the use
of the VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS or VMD_EXCL_GL_EXTENSIONS environment
variables. If I can get a few volunteers, I can tune VMD to sidestep
the ATI driver bugs on Linux without causing undue hardship on the
users of ATI cards on Mac or Windows machines (which don't have
these particular bugs). Email me if you've got one of these
cards on a Linux machine.

Thanks,