From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 17:08:14 CDT

Hi,
  You're probably running into the limitation that you can't usually display
64-bit OpenGL programs on 32-bit clients. I don't know what platforms
Charles Schwieters is building vmd-xplor on presently, but you might ask him
if he's got a specific build that's best to use on the Altix 350.
Another possibility you may wish to check is whether or not your
Hummingbird X emulator even does OpenGL. Can you run any other OpenGL
programs from your Altix to this Windows system? If not, then that
completely explains why you're having trouble with vmd-xplor. I'd
test to see if you can run any of the SGI OpenGL demos/test programs
and if those don't work, you've likely found the problem.