From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 10:38:37 CDT

It's easy to combine selections simply by concatenating the selection
strings with " or ". I.e. if you started out with the selection strings:
  set seltext1 "residue 1 to 50"
  set seltext2 "residue 51 to 100"

You could generate a new string that selects the atoms from both of the
original selections with:
  set newseltext [concat $seltext1 " or " $seltext2]

>From there you'd just do:
  set newsel [atomselect top $newseltext]