From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 10:26:59 CDT

Hi,
  You can use the atomselect "move" subcommand to apply an arbitrary
4x4 transformation matrix to the atom coordinates in a selection. Using
this, you should be able to perform any transformations you want. I don't
know if that's what you're looking for when you say "clear" and "elegant",
but the process just involves doing something like this (replace the
matrix with one that's not an identity matrix...):
  set sel [atomselect top "protein"]
  set matrix { { 1 0 0 0 }
               { 0 1 0 0 }
               { 0 0 1 0 }
               { 0 0 0 1 } }
  $sel move $matrix

As you can see, you can apply any transformation to any part of your
structure just by making different selections and matrices for each
of the parts you're interested in separately transforming.