From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 10:09:15 CDT

Seth,
  What operating system are you building on? This may be a simple problem
with lack of (or conflict with) system-supplied single-precision acosf()
and other transcendental functions. If you tell us more about your
system, we ought to be able to suggest a Makefile change or two that will
cure this problem. I'm not sure how compiling VMD 1.8.3 would have any
effect on your old VMD 1.8.2 install, unless you unpacked them into
the same directory or something like that. They need to be installed into
their own directories, if you install one over the other, that would indeed
cause some problems.