From: Praedor Atrebates (praedor_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 15:48:52 CDT

On Friday 23 September 2005 15:45, John Stone wrote:
> Praedor,
> I realized that the VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS feature won't disable the use
> of vertex arrays, so that's why it had no effect on your crash. If you
> want, I can compile you a VMD build that doesn't use vertex arrays and
> that'll probably cure your crash. This ATI bug has been around for
> quite a while. As I recall, the problem is that they are processing
> the vertex arrays using a recursive function, and they blow their stack
> space when they get large buffers like the ones VMD sends. If you want
> I'll give you a version that uses simpler OpenGL commands that won't
> trigger the bad code path in their driver.
[...]

I would appreciate that. I take it that you know of no unafflicted ATI
driver? I am only one minor version from the latest, I think. This might
also explain some well-known ATI-related X freezes and crashes many people
(including myself) sometimes suffer.

praedor

--
"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be
construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."