From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 10:20:02 CDT

Hi,
  I looked at the Gromacs web site and it would seem that the ".dat" files
aren't a documented format at all. It's hard for me to say why your
conversion program doesn't work right, but if your main problem is that
you're getting incorrect bonding and such, this is probably simply an issue
of VMD being forced to guess bonds by a distance based bond search since
it isn't getting that information from your PDB file. The Gromacs web page
only had this to say about these .dat files:
  http://www.gromacs.org/documentation/reference_3.2/online/dat.html

If you have the structure in a normal Gromacs topology file, it would
probably be pretty easy to write a new Gromacs topology file reader
plugin that retrieves the correct bonding information and without having to
convert to a PDB file. If there are other Gromacs users on the VMD-L list
that would like to see VMD read more of the Gromacs files directly without
conversion, speak up now. What files do you guys want to be able to read?
If nobody wants new reader plugins I have plenty of other things to work on,
but this could probably be done in a day or two if there is sufficient demand.