From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 11:29:30 CDT

Dan,
  The root of your problem is shown in the startup text that VMD is printing
about the OpenGL Renderer: "Mesa GLX Indirect"
That indicates that rather than using the hardware accelerator, your X
server (and thus VMD) are using the Mesa software renderer in an indirect
OpenGL context, which is the least desirable option of the various
possibilities. See if you get the same output from 'glxinfo'.
Most likely you've got the kernel driver running etc, but the X server
isn't talking to it yet, which means you need to twiddle your X config
file settings. I've gotta run, but let us know if you need more help on this.