From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 11:07:50 CDT

Hi,
  Most of us did this by reverse engineering and or reading source code.
I've already forgotten where we got the specs for the cell size records,
but you should feel free to read the VMD DCD code if you like. I've attached
the DCD reader/writer plugin from VMD. You'll be interested in the
read_charmm_extrablock() function, as that's where our code for reading
the unit cell info exists. It's simple, just a block of 6 double precision
numbers. The tricky part is that you also have to setup the DCD header
correctly (emitting a '1' rather than a '0' in one of the header records)
to indicate that the file contains cell info. This is shown on line 619 of
our DCD writer code. Hopefully you can make sense of this. Please find
the dcdplugin.c file attached to this email.