From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 14:33:06 CDT

Hi,
  You could actually do this without even writing the secondary structure
to a file. This can be done with atom selections very easily with a
script like this one. Feel free to hack this to do whatever you need.
Enjoy,
  John

proc calcsscounts {} {
  set numframes [molinfo top get numframes]
  set sel [atomselect top "name CA"]
  for {set frame 0} {$frame < $numframes} {incr frame} {
    animate goto $frame
    vmd_calculate_structure top
    $sel frame $frame
    $sel update
    set helixlist [$sel get alpha_helix]
    set sheetlist [$sel get sheet]
    set helixcount 0
    foreach i $helixlist { incr helixcount $i }
    set sheetcount 0
    foreach i $sheetlist { incr sheetcount $i }
    puts "Frame: $frame"
    puts " Alpha helix count: $helixcount"
    puts " Beta sheet count: $sheetcount"
  }