From: Jerry Ebalunode (jebalunode_at_uh.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 18:33:49 CDT

Hi Brian,
I had this problem earlier this year. The problem comes from changing the
default decoder used by window media player (mplay) for decoding mpg
movies, to a more newer codec which is incompatible with ms office
powerpoint. This newer offending codec(s) usually come from recently
installed multimedia programs. In my case this was from adobe premiere and
sony vegas. In a bid to improve overall performance for multimedia playback
and likely editing too, these vendors provide their own third party codecs
for doing a similar job.
I had to move or rename the offending libraries that provided this codecs, to
finally fix the problem. I will send you the forum page that provided a
more detail explanation of the source of the problem and instructions on how
to fix it. You might be able to stumble across the solution in google

--
Jerry Ebalunode
Ph.D. Candidate