From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 17:37:23 CDT

Hi,
  I believe the problem is that VMD's current PDB reader plugin implementation
isn't paying attention to the "altLoc" specifier in the PDB "ATOM" records.
In the short term, I can see what sort of tweak I could add to the PDB
parser to make it do something more sensible with structures like these.
Ultimately, I'll probably have to modify the plugin interface so that the
PDB reader can more directly communicate this information to the core of
VMD, so that one could make atom selections that are directly based off
of the altLoc field. If people have suggestions for how you'd like to
be able to select and/or view these alternate locations within VMD, I'd
love to hear comments. Perhaps the simplest thing might be to have a new
atom selection keyword for 'altloc'. That'd give access to this information,
though the user would have to be cognizant of the meaning.

Getting bonds right will be another level of difficulty. At the present
time VMD doesn't really consider the possibility of one molecule having
more than one structure, except as a sequence of temporal snapshots, such
as in a trajectory. So, at the moment, VMD wouldn't know what to do with
these alternate locations except to either ignore subsequent alternate
atom locations for the purposes of bonding. With just a little extra
logic, we could eliminate all altLoc values other than " " or "A" from
consideration during the automatic bond determination stage of loading
a lone PDB file. The "B" and subsequent altLoc groups could have their
bonds determined amongst themselves, but that would still leave them
disconnected from the rest of the structure, when displayed with an
appropriate atom selection. Perhaps another way of dealing with this
would be to provide a command for recomputing bonds on-the-fly, much
as is done in the "autobonds" representation, but with a parameter allowing
the user to select the "altLoc" group of interest. None of these are
ideal solutions however, and leave much to be desired.

Another possibility, which is perhaps far simpler would be to load
PDB files containing non-empty altLoc identifiers as multiple structures.
This could be conceivably be done entirely within the PDB reader plugin
without changing VMD itself very much.

How would you guys _like_ to be able to view structures with altLoc
information in them? Would you prefer to see these presented as
completely independent molecules within VMD, or would you prefer to
see them by virtue of something along the lines of "altLoc" atom selections?

The "altLoc" field is mentioned briefly in the PDB specs here:
  http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/docs/format/pdbguide2.2/part_62.html