From: Dow Hurst DPHURST (DPHURST_at_uncg.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 16:49:37 CDT

Dell Precision dual Xeon workstation
Dual Dell LCD displays
Nvidia Quadro FX 1300
Nvidia 1.0-7664 driver
SUSE 9.3 32bit

Solved all my ribbon, tube, and general display problems happening in more
than just VMD when it was installed. You can just:

download the driver from Nvidia
Cntrl-Alt-F1 to get out of X into a terminal
login as root
issue "init 3" at the prompt
rm /tmp/.X0-lock
run "lsmod" and make sure the nvidia module isn't loaded
modify /etc/inittab to have line 20 look like "id:3:initdefault:"
issue "sh /yourpath/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run"
and follow the prompts! Reboot or issue "init 5" to try out your updated
driver. If it doesn't work right you can try other options such as
reinstalling the older driver. I could not get the older 6629 driver to
compile an interface successfully for the kernel in SUSE 9.3. Current
kernel updates have me at 2.6.11.4-21.7-smp and that must require the later
nvidia drivers. Once your stable, change the /etc/inittab back to booting
into X or "init 5".

I decided to fit into SUSE's method of installation. Updates under SUSE
 don't update the nvidia driver once installed so 1.0-7167 wasn't being
 updated. I told Yast2 online update to grab the "fetchnvidia" patch again
 but not delete patch sources when done. Under
 /var/lib/YaST2/you/scripts/fetchnvidia.sh is where you will find the
 script. I just modified the script to grab the later version and
 commented out the if statement that checks if the nvidia driver is already
 installed. Worked pretty well. Hope this helps those with 1.0.7167
 problems using SUSE 9.3 and VMD-1.8.3,
 Dow