From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 15:00:06 CDT

I think the root of the problem there is that he's trying to
run VMD via 'ssh', which encrypts and decrypts both the ssh
text connection as well as the graphics connection. Generally
speaking, you don't want to send graphics through 'ssh', as it
adds a significant amount of latency to the rendering.
It's much faster (but less safe) to use the old 'xhost' commands
and 'setenv DISPLAY remotemachine:0.0' to remote display VMD,
though even that will be significantly slower than displaying
locally. VMD 1.8.3 has a new Display->Cachemode->On option
that attempts to store the majority of the displayed molecular
scene in a set of OpenGL read-only display lists for faster
remote rendering. Give that a try and see if it partially
addresses your problems after you try using a direct connection
rather than 'ssh'.