From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 11:06:09 CDT

Kos,
  There are two issues involved in loading multi-gigabyte trajectories
on a given computer:
  1) 64-bit file I/O operations (can you read a file bigger than 2GB)
  2) 64-bit memory addressing (if you load the _whole_ dcd into memory)

If you're using a recent version of Linux, you can _read_ DCD files
larger than 2GB, regardless of what processor you have. This doesn't
mean that you can load the whole file into memory, but it means you can
use the 'bigdcd' script to perform analysis on it one-frame-at-a-time just
like Charmm.

And in case you haven't read my previous email, there _IS_ a way to run
VMD in text mode:
  vmd -dispdev text

That runs VMD without a graphics display, so you can use it for analysis.
If you know you're not going to issue any rendering commands during
the analysis session (even with no graphics window VMD can still
render images using Tachyon etc...) you will want to issue the command
"display update off" which save VMD a little bit of extra work.

The text mode way of running VMD won't use much less memory than the
full graphics mode. Most of the memory consumed is for storing the
trajectory data. If you load the data, the memory will be used, simple
as that. If you need to save memory, then use the 'bigdcd' script to
process your trajectories a frame at a time.

  John